As of June 1st, Michigan put new laws into place aimed at reducing the opioid epidemic. This legislation was in response to an increase in heroin and prescription opioid overdose deaths in Michigan, which have doubled in the last five years. The new laws affect the way that controlled substances are prescribed across the state. Therefore, we would like you to be aware of policy changes at Crystal Lake Clinic for controlled substance prescriptions based on the new laws.
- Phone refills will no longer be allowed for Opioid prescriptions.
- Opioid prescriptions and refills will require an in-office face-to-face visit with the provider for every fill and refill.
- Acute opioid pain prescriptions will be limited to a 7 day supply.
- Each time an opioid prescription is written, we will require you or a guardian to complete an informed consent as well as a controlled substance contract.
- Benzodiazepine medications, stimulant medications, and other controlled substances will require in-office face-to-face visits at least every 3 months.
We are proud to be part of an effort to save lives and fight the opioid epidemic. Please discuss your medications with your provider at your next visit to learn more about the policy changes and how they will affect your prescriptions. Thank you for choosing Crystal Lake Clinic for your healthcare.
- Hydrocodone-containing products (Norco, Vicodin, Lortab) Oxycodone-containing products (Percocet, OxyContin)
- Hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
- Fentanyl (Duragesic, Actiq, Sublimaze, Fentora)
- Morphine (MS Contin)
- Codeine (Tylenol #3, Cough medicines with Codeine)
- Methadone (Dolophine, Methadose)
- Tramadol (Ultram, Ultram ER)
- Alprazolam (Xanax)
- Clonazepam (Klonopin)
- Chlordiazepoxide (Librium)
- Lorazepam (Ativan)
- Diazepam (Valium)
- Amphetamines (Adderall)
- Dexmethylphenidate (Focalin, Focalin XR)
- Lisdexamphetamine (Vyvanse)
- Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
- Modafinil (Provigil)
- Armodafinil (Nuvigil)
Other controlled substance examples:
- Migraine Medications – Medications containing butalbital (Fioricet, Fiorinal)
- Muscle Relaxants – Carisoprodol (Soma)
- Testosterone Product – Androderm, AndroGel, Depo-Testosterone, Testim
- Bowel Medications – Belladonna and Opium (B&O Suppositories), Diphenoxylate-Atropine (Lomotil)
- Appetite Stimulants – Dronabinol (Marinol), Phentermine (Adipex-P)
- Sleeping Agents – Eszopiclone (Lunesta), Zolpidem (Ambien), Zaleplon (Sonata)